Mahabalipuram Cycling Trip

For some reason, I felt absolutely crazy today. Not at all in a mood to go to office, especially since I don't have any tasks assigned to me. So, thought of bunking today, taking rest in home. I called up my TL, requesting for sick leave and it was granted :-)

I had no plans till 11:00, when I thought I would go cycling to some place, probably to Kalai Selvan's home in Adyar. I started from home at 11:45 AM, but targeting a distant place now, Sholinganallur. Phoned up Sairam in Sholinganallur HCL office to make sure he is available to meet in noon, so I could visit him and return. I drank a Slice half liter bottle for instant energy boost up, which helped a lot.


Far greater Target

It is when I entered OMR at around 12, I felt Sholinganallur to be a easy target and I craved for something more, something absolutely challenging not just physically, but also mentally. And then its decided, I am going to Mahabalipuram. I am little sure that I could make it without much difficulty, but the returning trip looked very challenging. Its not a walking trip, in which I could abandon the mission anytime and take a bus. Its a Cycling trip, where regardless of mission succeeding or failing, I should come back to home with my cycle. But this is the sort of challenge that I wanted at that time, its decided and I need to give my best shot.

Checkpoint 1: Sholinganallur

I was highly excited, energized and motivated and so cycling at the max speed I could go and to my surprise I reached Sholinganallur in a hour at around 12:45 PM, which meant I clocked around 22 kms / hour, which matches the average cycling speed.

Visited Sairam in Sholinganallur, and hasted to continued my adventure, resuming the journey at 1:00 PM. My next checkpoint is Navalur, where my another friend Arun Raj is working and also it was the working place of a great warrior, a virtual adventurer, late Arun Esthack.

Mr. Sairam at HCL, Sholinganallur

Checkpoint 2: Navalur

I phoned Arun Raj to make sure he is available to meet and we decided to have lunch together. I reached Navalur by 1:25 PM. I certainly didnt planned for full meals, but he took me to a hotel where only full meals is available and I got no other choice. I am sure that a full stomach is a big hindrance to my journey, but without much thought I had full meals with him as it is his treat. Thanks macha, history will hail you :P for sponsoring my lunch on my epic journey :-)

We spent some time chatting there and I resumed my journey at 2:30 PM, bidding good bye to Arun Raj.

HCL, Navalur

No more Checkpoints

I decided not to stop by anywhere other than the final destiny Mahabalipuram, because whatever happens I need to get back to home by 10:00 PM. Cycled crazily reaching Kelambakkam by 3:00 PM. There I took ECR - Kelambakkam Link road to join the wildest road, ECR.

Just after reaching ECR, there was a shop where I stopped by to have cream biscuits. Because cream, which is sugar is directly proportional to Calories, which I need in loads. Then started moving towards the destiny with full spirit. There were milestones placed here and there in roadside indicating the remaining distance to Mahabalipuram. Each and every milestone motivated me to go even faster.
18 kms away from Mahabalipuram

Destiny is Mine

"Finally after hours of Cycling, I reached Mahabalipuram by 4:10 PM :-D Victory :-)" ***Claps***

I went to the beach, sat some 20 minutes there ( a quick mini rest ), taking few snaps. Just after reaching Mahabalipuram I called home telling mom that I came here. At first, I told her that I am going to Kalai Selvan home. She told me nothing, as she already told me enough, which was all in vein. I am sorry ma !!! Sometimes, I myself feel that she is in a curse by having me as the only son ... !!!
Made it to Mabalipuram in Cycle from Saidapet atlast !!! Around 58 kms




Left Beach in a while and entered a bakery, eating all sorts of cakes, creamy stuffs and another bottle of Slice, which should be enough to keep me up for my return. The unfortunate thing is both the knees started paining a little. Hope it wont be a big hurdle.

Return

I started the return at 4:45 PM, but feeling little tired already. Around 5:10 PM, saw a big board showing 'Chennai 50 km', which made me realize that the return will be daunting. Few kms before Kovalam I saw a car accident in the left side of road. A car was resting on its side. Much crowd was already there and police also arrived. With my minimal scouting skills, I found the passengers to be 2 girls and a guy and fortunately no one seemed to be hurt, except for scratches in hand. Though of taking a snap and decided not, since it didnt seem appropriate.

A mission well accomplished, but not without big consequences... Looking scary !!!

Dinner at Muttukadu

This incident caused me to worry about myself a little, to go more carefully. Time is around 6:00 PM and it darkening around, battery level in Phone is drained to mere 10%. Planned to visit Sabari's home mainly to charge my phone, keeping my phone up is the most important thing I should do, because mom would get so worried If I am not reachable when she calls.

I went to Sabari home knowing he will in office by this time. Visited his Sister and they were surprised by sudden visit and my crazy adventure. Unfortunately, they didnt have a charger compatible to my phone. Didnt even called Sabari as I saved the remaining battery to keep the phone on.

Sabari's Sister gave 4 super soft Idlis for me to eat. I had them and it tasted awesome. Thanks akka :-) Since the weather looked rainy, I grabbed a plastic cover to put my purse and mobile, in case if it rains and resumed my return.
Shore Temple


Micro Accident

With the energy I gained from refreshment in Sabari home, I was ready to go in faster pace. But it was so dark, there were no street light in ECR and I couldn't see the road clearly, so I cycled slowly. It was the other crossing vehicles headlights which aided me visually. I couldn't even see the margin between the road and the sand at the side, which varies by almost 2 to 3 inches in height. At a point, not even a kilometer or two from Sabari home, there were no vehicles around me and it was absolute darkness, in which I rode directly on the road margin and got slipped.

Its nothing but a small slippery, but I exaggerated (mostly because of the accident I saw), thought no matter what, I shouldn't fall on the road which is highly risky. So I jumped from the cycle to the left of the road and managed to land with my hands down, instead of falling completely and my cycle also fell off the road. Then only I realized instead of jumping I could have managed in the cycle itself, If I would have thought out well. Felt embarrassing, but happy since no one was there to saw my stupid stunts. Took my cycle up and continued, saying to myself, "ithu ellam arasiyalla sataranamappa"

Rain

In a while I reached ECR link road and turned myself towards OMR, when it started raining. I immediately put my mobile and purse inside the plastic cover and cycled joyfully in the rain. But soon the roads of OMR were filled with water of nearly a feet high !!! Water poured into bikes silencers and people were dragging the bikes, causing heavy traffic there. Worst part cycling in such a place, it became to hard to pedal with such water beneath. From Karapakkam to SRP, it was a big drag because of the stagnant water, traffic, etc., After SRP, things moved smoothly with much better traffic and no water stagnation.

But I was ultimately tired, knees paining very much, more than all all my mental strength completely exhausted. The thought of throwing away my cycle and getting a bus was ringing every minute. Just thought of my personal gods (ofcourse from Anime) Vegeta, Goku, Naruto and their words which highly motivated me and made me cycle much faster.



View Mahabalipuram Cycling, 3/12/12 in a larger map

Home, Sweet Home !!!

With tremendous last minute efforts, I made it to home finally at 9.30 PM, completing the whole mission successfully :-)

But in home waited bigger problems which I expected. Mom was very mad at me and didnt speak at all. But just a couple of days and now we are back to normal :-)


“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

Adventures Continue,
Saiyasodharan

Comments

Post a Comment